Fig Tree Cuttings
Fig tree cuttings are small sections of a fig tree's stem or branch that are taken for the purpose of propagation or cloning. Fig cuttings are taken from healthy, mature fig trees and rooted in soil or water to grow new fig trees that will grow to be an exact duplicate of the parent fig tree. Once roots have developed on the fig cutting, the new fig tree can be transplanted into a larger container or directly into the ground. With proper care and attention, the new tree will eventually grow into a mature fig tree that produces fruit.
What You Need To Know Before Buying Fig Tree Cuttings
Before buying fig tree cuttings, there are a few things you should consider to ensure you are getting healthy, viable fig cuttings that will successfully grow into the variety of fig trees that you want:
- Fig Tree Variety: There are many different varieties of fig trees, each with its own unique characteristics and growing requirements. Before buying fig tree cuttings, make sure to research fruit color, taste, size, and growth habits for the specific variety you are interested in. Ensure the fig tree variety is suitable for your climate and growing conditions
- Fig Cuttings Source: It's important to purchase fig tree cuttings from a reputable source like figBid. Avoid purchasing fig cuttings from unknown sources as the cuttings may be of poor quality or may not be properly identified. Never purchase fig tree cuttings from outside of the US due to the possibility of introducing invasive pests, diseases, or noxious weeds into the environment.
- Fig Cuttings Condition: Look for fig tree cuttings that are healthy and come from disease-free fig trees. The fig cuttings should have plump stems and at least three leaf nodes. The bark should look healthy and undamaged. Tip (bud) cuttings should not appear wilted, dry, or discolored. Intermediate cuttings should be cut at an angle on the top of the cutting and straight across the bottom.
- Fig Cuttings Size: The ideal size for fig tree cuttings is around 6 to 10 inches in length, with at least three leaf nodes and at least the thickness of a pencil. Avoid very small or very thin fig cuttings, as they may not root properly or be in poor health.
- Shipping: Make sure to check the seller's shipping policies and ensure the fig cuttings will be shipped in a timely and safe manner to avoid damage during transit. Be mindful of extremely cold or hot temperatures in your location, the shipping location, and the locations between the two destinations.
- Care of Fig Cuttings Upon Arrival: Be ready to clean, disinfect, and begin rooting your fig tree cuttings on the day they arrive or very soon thereafter. If the fig cuttings will be stored make sure to clean, disinfect, and wrap them well before storing. Place the wrapped fig tree cuttings into refrigeration. Never freeze fig cuttings.
- Time of year to buy Fig Tree Cuttings: Fig tree cuttings should be taken during a fig tree’s dormant season, which is typically in the winter. Be sure to purchase your fig cuttings during this time to ensure the best chance of success. If you are purchasing fig tree cuttings outside of this time, make sure they have been properly stored and kept in a cool, dry place.
- Decide on a Rooting Method: Decide how you would like to root your fig tree cuttings and make sure you have enough space and all of your rooting supplies on hand before buying your fig cuttings.
How Can You Find The Best Fig Tree Cuttings From figBid?
Here are 10 tips for finding the best fig tree cuttings on figBid:
- Read the seller's description carefully: Before making a purchase, read the seller's description of the fig cuttings they are offering. Look for information about the variety, the size and thickness of the cuttings, and the condition of the wood.
- Check the seller's feedback rating: figBid has a feedback system that allows buyers to rate their experience with sellers. Look for sellers with high ratings and positive feedback to ensure a good buying experience.
- Look for reputable sellers: Use a search engine to search a seller’s figBid username. Look for results in blogs, forums, or other fig groups that contain the seller’s username. Check for both positive and negative results.
- Consider the shipping method: Most fig cuttings are not delicate and will be fine during shipping. But look for sellers who describe their packaging methods, such as how the cuttings will be wrapped, labeled, and packaged for the journey to you.
- Look at the pictures: Sellers on figBid must include pictures in the listing. Look for pictures that show the size, shape, and color of the cuttings. Check if the pictures contain a common object in the frame for comparison. Good sellers will also post pictures of the mother tree and fruit you should expect to harvest when the fig tree has matured.
- Consider the price: While price isn't always an indicator of quality, be wary of varieties of fig cuttings that are significantly cheaper than others. If the price seems too good to be true, the cuttings may not be of the best quality.
- Avoid buyer remorse; don’t overpay: Avoid a bidding war. Place your bid as the highest price you are willing to pay for the item. You won’t win as many auctions, but it’s safe and you’ll be happy with the auctions that you do win. You can also wait until the last few moments of the auction and drop your best price. This is a risky move because you have to know exactly when the auction is ending and you have to be ready to place your bid. Also, do not pay an overly inflated Buy It Now price. There will always be another listing for the variety that you want.
- Practice, practice, practice. Practice your rooting skills! There are plenty of great deals for inexpensive fig cuttings on figBid. There is no shame if you can’t master rooting a fig cutting right away. Take advantage and practice your rooting skills on the cheap stuff. This pays dividends later on. Don’t be afraid of rooting too many fig trees. Fig trees make great gifts and you can always sell the extras on figBid.
- Ask questions: If you have any questions about the fig cuttings or the seller's policies, don't hesitate to reach out and ask. A reputable seller will be happy to answer your questions and provide any additional information you need.
- Finally, there are no scammers on figBid. figBid successfully polices itself. But, if you ever see a deal that’s too good to be true or something that may look out of place, do not hesitate to contact us. A fig expert will always be available to help.
By taking the time to research and evaluate the fig tree cuttings and sellers on figBid, you can increase your chances of finding the best fig cuttings for your needs.
Why figBid Is the Best Option For Buying Fig Tree Cuttings?
figBid is the best option for buying fig tree cuttings for 3 reasons:
- Safety - figBid was founded as the only safe alternative to auction, retail, and multi-vendor platforms where scam sellers, imported fig trees, and fake fig tree varieties are rampant. figBid successfully polices itself and gives our buyers and sellers peace of mind by keeping the bad guys away.
- Selection - figBid is proud to host the widest selection of fig tree varieties and fig cuttings in the market, 24/7 and 365 days per year. We don’t close for holidays, our selections are always fresh, and we don’t run out of stock. Shopping figBid’s huge selection is always a breeze.
- Customer Service - figBid’s customer service is unparalleled and something you won’t find on any other website. If you ever have a question, or concern, or would just like to talk figs, you’ll find figBid is staffed with experienced horticulturists who understand your concerns the first time, and we’re always here to help.